To provide first responders and clinical staff in the emergency setting with current information on the immediate treatment of a burn victim and treatment modalities to enhance recovery leading to successful rehabilitation.
At the conclusion ot this program, the participant should be able to:
1. Describe the etiology of thermal injuries.
2. Identify the immediate priorities of initial stabilization following a thermal injury.
3. Identify treatment interventions and their impact on short-term and long-term patient outcomes.
4. State 3 complexities of a burn injury and the need for patient transfer to a specialty burn center.
5. Discuss principles of wound care and current advancements in burn care management.
Criteria for successful completion of this program include attending 90% of the program and submitting a completed post-program evaluation.
EMS Continuing Education Credit - South Dakota Office of EMS has approved the course for 4 hours of continuing education credit in the Pediatric category.
4.0 nursing contact hours will be awarded.
Shriners Hospital for Children-Cincinnati (OH-275,030112) is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Ohio Nurses Association (OBN-001-91), an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.